Electrical safety

What we are doing to keep you safe?

It is a legal requirement to have an electrical test every five years in a rented home. This is called an Electrical Installation Condition Report or ‘EICR’ for short. 

  • What is involved in the EICR electrical safety test? 

    During an EICR inspection, a qualified electrician or electrical engineer will inspect the electrical installations in your home. The engineer will carry out a visual inspection, checking for cracks, breaks and signs of overheating. Electrical testing will then be carried out where voltages and currents are used to check the safety of the different circuits. If issues are found, they will be recorded and detailed in the report. We will let you know when yours is due, usually by sending you a letter. Here’s what to expect when you’re having your electrical test. 

  • What should I do when I receive my letter?

    1. When you receive the letter call our friendly team on the number provided and book in your appointment.
    2. On the date and time of your appointment, a contractor will visit your home to carry out your electrical test. All the contractors will carry ID, so please make sure they present it to you on your doorstep. 
    3. The contractor will need access to your fuse board, water stop tap, gas meter and all the rooms in your home. They may ask you to show them where these are all located.
    4. Your electricity will be turned off so the contractor can complete the test safely. This is usually no longer than two – three hours.
    5. Once the test is finished, your electricity will be turned back on.
  • Will my home need to be re-wired?

    The test doesn’t necessarily mean your home will need to be re-wired. It may mean that we make some small safety adjustments to keep your home healthy and more importantly, keep you safe.  

    Following your electrical test, if your home does need a rewire it will be noted on the report at the end of the test. If this is the case, our team can talk this through with you and discuss next steps.

Why is electrical safety so important?

If your body receives an electric shock, it can cause serious injury and potential on-going health issues such as burns, heart problems and breathing complications.  

This electrical test is a legal requirement and we’re on hand to help you with any electrical questions or concerns you may have, but we also need your help to keep you and your loved ones safe. 

For any electrical work always seek the help of a qualified electrician. Call us on 0330 333 8382 to book an electrical repair. 

For Living

Electricity dos and don'ts

    • Don’t do it yourself

               DIY wiring can lead to electrical parts overheating, causing fires, shocks and potential serious injury. 

    • Don’t overload sockets

               Plugging too many devices into one socket, and over-using extension leads, can lead to overheating and fires. 

    • Do buy trusted electrical goods

              ‘Unofficial’ electrical products may not meet safety regulations which can increase the risk of fire. 

    • Do allow electrical inspections to take place

              Regular checks are the best way to be sure that electrical installations are safe, and to spot potential problems.

Power outage 

There may be a rare instance where your power goes out. Follow these steps to keep yourself as safe as possible. 

  • What do I do in case of a power outage?
    • Check your fuse box. It could be located either inside or outside your home. All the switches should be at the ‘on’ position, if one or more are off, switch them back on. If all of your switches are already in the ‘on’ position, turn the main breaker switch off and then back on again.


    • Check with your neighbours if they are experiencing the same issue, there may have been a power outage in your neighbourhood.


    • If there has been a power outage in your area, call your energy company and let them know your home is not receiving any power. You will need a charged mobile phone for this. They may already know, but will be able to give you an update on when the power will come back on.


    • Unplug most appliances, excluding your fridge. When your power does come back on, there may be a power surge that could damage some of your major appliances if they stay plugged in.


    When you experience a power outage, be careful with using candles and tea lights.

    • Always make sure they are in a suitable holder and away from anything flammable.
    • Avoid burning several candles close together as this might cause the flame to flare.
    • Put out candles before leaving the room and before you go to bed.
    • Don’t leave a burning candle unattended.

If you, or anyone in your home, receives an electric shock, call 999 immediately.