Advice for renters

We’re here to support you

We go above and beyond for tenants and residents to ensure they receive a first class service.

Whether you’re moving into your new ForLiving property or thinking about moving out, you’re in the right place. If you have any other questions, we’re just a call or an email away. 

To find more information about your tenancy, deposit options and managing your utilities, visit our dedicated page here.


  • Renting process

    A good starting point for your search would be carrying out an internet search. There are a number of websites that are useful such as Gumtree, spare room or Zoopla. ForLiving exclusively advertise properties through Rightmove. 


    We advise that you take a look around before you commit to a new home. We appreciate this is not always possible and there is an option to accept a property through a ‘virtual viewing’. This is where you will view a property via a video or virtual viewings on Rightmove.

    Affordability/ budgeting  

    It is essential you factor in all your bills and outgoings when searching for a new home. If you are unable to prioritise your rent, you will be at risk of losing your home.  

    If you’re worried about money or affordability, visit our money support page which has useful tools and information to support you in budgeting for your new home.

    Secure your dream home 

    Once you have viewed and are happy with the property, you can place a holding deposit which allows ForLiving to take the property off the market and start the lettings process. The holding deposit which is an equivalent of a weeks rent on your new home will reserve the property for a period of time whilst you go through the checks.  

    The holding deposit is non-refundable if you withdraw from the process. You will need to make sure you are wanting to go ahead with the home before placing your deposit. 


    Tenant referencing is a process where ForLiving can obtain information about you as a perspective tenant. This helps us make an informed decision on whether you might be suitable or not for a home. The referencing process focuses on two main aspects. 

    • The rent is affordable by carrying out employment checks and credit search.  
    • A landlord reference to ensure there is no problems with paying rent, property upkeep and no anti-social behaviour.  

    We have commissioned Let Alliance to carry out their referencing checks. You will be asked to create a log in to their vision+ portal which allows you to complete the referencing application form and obtain documents such as EPC, How to rent guide and a rent schedule.  


    You may require a guarantor to proceed with your application. It is important for anyone considering to be a guarantor to fully understand what is involved. A guarantor is a third party, such as a parent or other close relatives, who agree to pay your rent if you don’t pay it. They will be informed once you rent account is in arrears.  

    The guarantor will be required to go through a credit check to ensure they are able to pay the rent if required. A legal document will be drafted once the credit checks have been satisfied.  

    To be eligible to be a guarantor, they will be required to earn 36x the monthly rent and a British citizen.  

  • Tenant fees and charges

    Landlord and letting agents are no longer able to charge for references, administration and renewing a tenancy when your fixed term ends.  

    Fees can only be charged for the following situations. 

    Late rent payments  

    You can be charged a late rent payment fee once you’re 14 days late with rent. The late payment must be mentioned in your agreement, and you cannot be charged more than 3% APR above the Bank of England base rate.  

    Lost keys or fobs  

    You can be charged the reasonable costs of a replacement if this is mentioned in your tenancy agreement.  

    Ending your tenancy early  

    You landlord or agent can charge you if they agree to let you end your tenancy early or leave without notice. This can only cover loss incurred by your landlord or your agents’ reasonable costs.  

    Changing or transferring your tenancy  

    You can be charged up to £50 to change a term in your tenancy or transfer it to someone else. This includes the situation where you find a replacement tenant to take over from you or someone on the tenancy agreement.  

    You may be charged more than £50 if the landlord can show the change costs them more than the £50.  

    There are limits on how much a landlord or letting agent can charge for the following: 

    • Holding deposit – up to 1 week’s rent  
    • Tenancy deposit – up to 5 week’s rent  

    A list of ForLiving charges: 

    Description   Charge  
    Holding deposit   Equivalent of one week’s rent, which will be put towards your first month’s rent on completion of the sign up process. If the tenancy does not go ahead then there are times when you will not receive your holding deposit back, these are displayed below  
    Change of tenancy   Up to £50, or for any reasonable costs incurred if these are higher than £50 
    Security deposit   Equivalent to five weeks rent  
    Early termination   All costs, fees and charges incurred by the landlord for allowing an early termination. This can include void costs and letting fees  
    Late, unpaid, returned rent payments   3% above the base rate of Bank of England 
    Lost keys & fobs   Any cost for the replacement of keys, fobs, security devices which have been lost, damaged or broken  


    What happens to your holding deposit  

    If the tenancy successfully goes ahead the holding deposit paid will be put towards your first rents due.  

    If you decide you don’t want to go ahead for any reason, or if the tenancy can’t proceed because of any of the following the landlord, or we, can keep all of the holding deposit:  

    • Your application includes false or misleading information, which would affect the landlord’s decision to rent their property to you, unless you can prove that it was given in error. 
    • You change your mind about going ahead with the tenancy and withdraw your application.  
    • You, any guarantors or anyone acting on your behalf cause any delays to the tenancy being completed.   
    • You, any guarantors or anyone acting on your behalf fail to take all reasonable steps to enter into the tenancy for example; you don’t provide information requested to support your application.   
    • You fail any Right to Rent checks 
  • Tenant Deposit Scheme and Reposit   

    If you have signed an Assured Shorthold tenancy agreement it is legal requirement that all landlords need to protect your deposit by keeping it in a government-backed tenancy deposit protection scheme. ForLiving use the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS).  

    ForLiving are required to register the deposit within 30 days of receiving the funds. You will receive a certificate once the deposit is registered.  

    ForLiving do offer a ‘no deposit’ option through Reposit. If you purchase a Reposit, you will be required to pay a service charge equal to one week’s worth of rent or £150, whichever is greater,  to allow you not to pay a deposit and for your landlord to be added to a Reposit insurance policy.   

    Once you have moved out of the property, we will conduct a check out and an inventory will be completed. At the end of the tenancy, if there are no repairs, cleaning work needed at your property and there are no rent arrears your deposit will be released if you opted for a TDS deposit. If you opted for a Reposit, this will be closed down with no charges raised.  

    If there are problems with your property and/ or rent arrears we will inform if we need to deduct payments or raise a claim with Reposit. If you agree with the deductions/ claims you will be prompted to accept, however if you are not in agreement then you will be able to raise a dispute.  

    The dispute will be looked at by an independent arbiter who will asses and award monied based on factual evidence presented by the landlord and yourself.  

  • Bins, recycling and fly tipping

    You can help us continue to provide a clean and safe environment by:   

    1. Only letting people you know into the apartment block   
    2. Keeping shared areas clear to prevent fire hazards   
    3. Recycling and using rubbish chutes for domestic waste (if you have them)   
    4. Making sure unwanted bulky items like fridges and sofas are safely removed   
    5. Reporting repairs, vandalism, or graffiti   

    Bins, waste and recycling   

    ForLiving are not responsible for the collection and disposal of household waste, it is your local council. Following the links below can tell you:   

    • What rubbish is collected and when    
    • What goes in your recycling    
    • How to find your nearest recycling centre  

    Salford City council – Bins, waste and recycling 
    Manchester City Council – Bins, waste and recycling 

    Fly tipping  

    Fly tipping is the illegal dumping of waste. If you have seen or are aware of any fly tipping at your home or community please report it by using the contact form at the bottom of the page or by speaking to an advisor who will be happy to help.

  • Anti-social behaviour

    Everyone should be able to feel safe and secure in and outside of the home. There are some differences between what is considered as anti-social behaviour, and what isn’t.

    Anti-social behaviour can be anything ‘capable of causing a nuisance or annoyance’. It includes serious acts of violence or harassment, and more ‘everyday’ disturbances like noisy pets, loud music or gardens that are full of rubbish. We’ve pulled together a list of behaviours so you have all the information you need to handle an uncomfortable situation.

    • Excessive shouting, banging or loud music, especially in the evening or at night
    • Persistent dog barking
    • Threatening behaviour
    • Rowdy, aggressive, or threatening behaviour and language
    • Intimidation, harassment, or threats towards others
    • Domestic abuse
    • Hate behaviour/racial harassment
    • Illegal activities
    • Criminal activity that affects the community, such as drug dealing
    • Using a ForLiving property for illegal purposes such as handling stolen goods
    • Environmental nuisance
    • Litter, graffiti, or dumping of rubbish
    • Problems caused by animals such as uncontrolled behaviour or fouling
    • Abandoned cars and other vehicle nuisances

    Remember, we are here to help so please contact us if you feel unsafe in your community.

Contact us 

If you have any queries related to renting a ForLiving home, please get in touch by clicking the button below.

Contact us